February 26, 2010

FBBP #123 – DC Editorial Shake-ups, Event Fatigue & iPad Prognostications

Filed under: Podcasts — Chris Eckert @ 12:14 pm

Just what it says on the tin: this episode, we put on our Speculation Stocking Caps and wonder aloud what the new DC Entertainment Executive Team announcement portends for the humble funnybook reader, and then add a pair of Wild Guess Earmuffs to the ensemble and wonder how we might one day read their output on the iPad!

Plus, we address a Mystery Listener’s concern about Event Fatigue! Does it exist? Do we suffer from it? Can it be solved by a Vitamin B12 supplement? If you have a cure for Event Fatigue or any other helpful advice, call into 347-AUNT-MAY and let us know!

1. Speaking of fatigue and the Ipad, that’s really my biggest concern with using it as a reader. Not even thinking about the glare issue, I stare at TVs and monitors enough during the day, when I read be it a book or a comic, I have a real hard time getting into any kind of story reading it off of a screen as I just get enough eye strain to make it annoying. That would hold me back more than anything. Is there such a thing as color e-ink? That’d be what I’d need in a portable comic reader I think.

Comment by Fearing — February 26, 2010 @ 11:05 pm

2. It’s not something that I’m particularly worried about, but then, I spend all day working in front of a screen only to get home to look at a screen all night. I even look at a screen on the subway and in bed before I sleep.

Comment by Joseph — February 27, 2010 @ 1:47 am

3. I find the idea that Didio’s been doing a good job with DC just bizarre, even trying to be really objective. Sure DC’s doing better than it was before he took over, but that could just as easily be chalked up to comics as a whole becoming more visible and profitable.

Meanwhile DC’s losing talent left and right to Marvel, failing to properly capitalize on exclusive talent (the Kuberts spring to mind), failing to lure promising creators to their company, instead focusing hiring untested movie/TV writers, utterly failing to gain sales traction with new characters or titles (Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Doom Patrol, Power Girl, etc.) and tanking successful franchises (JLA, JSA, Teen Titans, Wonder Woman, and Superman).

I get the feeling that DC’s propped up almost entirely on the shoulders of Johns and Morrison. Were they not working on Batman and Green Lantern, and driving those franchises in directions that encourage readers to try satellite Batman and Green Lantern titles, what would DC have going for them?

Comment by Colt — February 27, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

4. Several companies are developing color “e-ink” technologies, but there’s nothing being marketed yet. It will happen, though. The unlit, glare-free screen is the selling e-reader’s selling point for many people.

Comment by S. Laz — February 28, 2010 @ 11:55 am

5. I’ve given up reading interviews and advanced solicits and I enjoy my comics much more. Pedro, take note.

Comment by Zom — March 1, 2010 @ 9:42 am

6. (I read interviews after the fact)

Comment by Zom — March 1, 2010 @ 9:43 am

7. Color e-ink is the key, IMO, to putting together a viable reader. I’ve yet to see a backlit display that makes me want to give up print. I love my Kindle, though.

Like many, I’m curious about the iPad, but I’m not going to touch one until at least the 2nd Gen.

And Colt, I doubt the people who make such decisions really know or care that DC has lost talent to Marvel – somehow I doubt they’d be in a position to know Ed Brubaker from Ed Wood. DC always has difficulty gaining traction for b- and c-list characters, so I doubt that’d be viewed as a failing specific to Didio either. End of the day, they’re making more money than they were before Didio was in charge – thus he gets promoted. I think his tenure has been a disaster on many levels, but it’s pretty hard to argue with the bottom line.

Comment by matches — March 1, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

8. To me, it’s not a question of people feeling “Event Fatigue” so much as “Hype Fatigue”. It’s the unending stream of hype that’s the problem. Everything has to be billed as the next big thing, which pressures us to give good reasons whenever we do NOT want to be reading whatever the big books are at the moment. “Are you reading Siege? Why aren’t you reading Blackest Night? Are you excited for the Heroic Age? Have you checked out Doom War? Have you seen the covers to the Return of Bruce Wayne?” That’s another thing: the slow, methodical release of teaser images builds the hype (and thus the pressure) even more. And all of the outlets–the comic websites, twitter, Previews, preview pages in other comics, things at conventions–are used as opportunities to stoke the fires all the time. It’s just “Hype Fatigue” in general, but the most oppressive centers of this pressure-cooker are of course the events. But, I mean, the Bendis/JRJR book isn’t exactly an “event”, and neither is the Bruce Wayne mini-series, but there’s a ton of pressure around them at the moment, readers are pressed as to whether or not they’re going to “sign up”.

The answer’s really a simple one, though: Just buy what you would like to read, and after you’ve seen an advertisement for something the first time, you should never, ever pay attention to it again.

Comment by TMarls — March 2, 2010 @ 2:09 am

9. I agree with the Spinning the Wheels Dark Reign approach but there were 2 books I felt did it well the DR tieins were Punisher and Secret Warriors because they used Norman and advanced their own stories at the same time (and in Frank’s case took him off of the plate for the rest of Dark Reign)

Comment by Rick — March 5, 2010 @ 4:23 am

10. Events are tedious. They certainly don’t have to be (Final Crisis), but more often than not they add up to lazy writing and opportunistic spin-off mumbo-jumbo.

I would MUCH rather read where a given creative team intends to take a book rather than companies that force a book under an Event tarp.

Comment by Zebtron A. Rama — March 13, 2010 @ 8:19 pm