February 24, 2009

FBBP #92 – Et in Academia Ego

Filed under: Podcasts — Joseph Mastantuono @ 5:43 am

The gang welcomes special guest A. David Lewis onto the show to discuss Comics and Academia! Also, to make dick jokes about Watchmen. We contain multitudes!

Lewis is the author of swell comics like The Lone and Level Sands and Some New Kind of Slaughter, both in conjunction with artist mpMann. Harvey nominators (and everyone else) take note: you can read the first two issues of Slaughter absolutely free online!

ADL also provided us with a list of some good sites that deal with Comics and Academics:
Comicsresearch.org
International Journal of Comic Art
Comic Adventures in Academia
Neil Cohn’s Emaki.net
The Institute for Comics Studies
Sequart Research & Literacy Organization

Check them totally out!

1. The Astonishing X-Men Motion comic trailer is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jv6bg0ZVbU

It looks interesting, the animation is far more detailed than I would have expected. Although I’m still not convinced that motion comics are a good idea, it is a definite improvement on the Watchmen and Invincible ones.

Invincible in particular was an incredibly poorly executed thing: http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/07/11/business/1194817108353/mtv-debuts-animated-comics.html

In my head all the X-Men use the X-Men vs. Street Fighter voices, glad I’m not alone on that.

Comment by James Baker — February 24, 2009 @ 10:00 am

2. Great show, different than the usual FBBcasts but much more interesting as well.

Comment by Cactrot — February 24, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

3. This is horribly nerdy of me, but the question about whether you hear Cyke as the 90s TV show or X-Men vs Street Fighter was presenting a false distinction: Norm Spencer did both. Basically everyone who was in the first Marvel fighter, X-Men: Children of the Atom, was voiced by the 90s show actors, and they carried on down through MvC2. I think Magneto and Storm (whose game VA was from the show, just not Storm on the show) might be the only ones who were more than a cameo in CotA that wasn’t, and of the ones added for XvSF Rogue and Sabertooth were from the cartoon, Gambit wasn’t. It was kind of nice on the part of Capcom to try and unify that sort of thing at the time.

Comment by AzraelNewtype — February 25, 2009 @ 7:41 pm

4. Found you guys through Derek Coward’s Comic Book Podcast Show http://www.comicbooknoise.com/category/comic-book-podcast-show/

and I’ve listened to three shows tonight. This episode totally put me over the top, I’m sorry to say I have a total Mancrush on you guys, and A. David Lewis.

Great episode, amazing to hear actual intelligent discussion of comics as a medium. Loved it.

Comment by JM Campbell — February 25, 2009 @ 11:02 pm

5. Awesome Azreal.

That cartoon was really great at the time, especially in the pilot where Morph bites it. That was shocking to me at the time, since you never saw anyone die in western cartoons.

Comment by Joseph from FBB — February 26, 2009 @ 11:43 am

6. “Mancrush,” JM? Aww…how sweet!

Comment by A. Dave Lewis — March 2, 2009 @ 8:16 am