February 17, 2009

FBBP #91 – A Thick Line Between Love and Hate

Filed under: Podcasts — Tags: , , , — Joseph Mastantuono @ 2:20 am

This week, Chris gets glum about the catalog of atrocities that is Terror Titans, but Pedro and Joe valiantly attempt to cheer him up by talking up the fun of Captain Britain and MI-13. Then everyone fights over whether David Lapham’s Young Liars is brilliant or banal. In the spirit of bipartisanship these shownotes will not take a side, but let it be known that the majority of FBB voters believe Young Liars is pretty great. But you don’t have to take our word for it! Gamble a stamp!

1. I get the sense that Young Liars is about the fraudulence, and beauty and ephermerality of youthful fantasy, more than it is about Danny. Danny is simply a way into playing with that stuff.

>>ducks<>ducks<<

Am waiting for my pile to get sufficiently large

Comment by Zom — February 17, 2009 @ 7:04 am

2. Agh, text vanished above

I ducked because I have to own up to having only read 3 issues

Comment by Zom — February 17, 2009 @ 7:05 am

3. I was really pissed off when I read Terror Titans #1 and saw that McKeever killed off Fever, from John Arcudi’s Doom Patrol, for no damn good reason. So pissed off that I e-mailed him, and he sent me this reply.

“For what it’s worth, I was a huge fan of Arcudi’s Doom Patrol and was ramping up to having Fever eventually join the Teen Titans. But at the end of the day, I’m merely a freelancer and don’t get to make all the decisions.”

It makes me wonder how much top-down editorial interference there is, that a writer can want to make a character a member of a team in a book he’s writing, and not only be forbidden from adding her to the team, but apparently forced to kill her.

McKeever needs to get his ass back over to Marvel so he can start writing good books again.

Comment by Colt — February 17, 2009 @ 6:46 pm

4. I’m actually a much bigger zealot about Stray Bullets than Young Liars, but I just got caught up on Young Liars today and uhm there are very few creators who even want to bother doing this much experimentation and work with point of view in fiction/storytelling in general, much less in comics. It’s brilliant and there are so many awards it should but won’t win.

Comment by Jonathan Bernhardt — February 17, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

5. I get the sense that Terror Titans is about pathetic DC Comics editors and their contempt for audiences that is so acute that they literally feel everyone except them is chattel to be slaughtered. Bravo metaphor, Mr. McKeever!

Comment by Dan Coyle — February 18, 2009 @ 3:46 pm

6. I guess I’m not the only one suffering through Terror Titans, then.

I JUST WANTED SOME STATIC, ASSHOLES. Thanks for the three pages or so.

Comment by Syrg — February 19, 2009 @ 2:12 am

7. hahaha Terror Titans, what the hell were they thinking? seriously. though I will cop to having a perverse sence of glee with some of McKeever’s stuff in the main TT series, terror just had me going wtf?

also agree completely about Cap Brit.

more Dr. Who writers should write comics.

Comment by Nathan — February 19, 2009 @ 10:40 pm

8. Based upon the recommendations made in this episode, I picked up the Captain Britain and MI13 run, and I heartily second the endorsement that it received. Next to Incredible Hercules, Immortal Iron Fist, and Agents of Atlas, it’s the only one where the execution has a spark of ingenuity to it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment by Brian — February 20, 2009 @ 12:52 pm

9. the ONLY bad thing I can say about Cap Brit is that it split up the original AoA creative team ;_;

Comment by Nathan — February 20, 2009 @ 3:46 pm

10. off topic question here, What other comic related podcasts do you recommend? As a rule I’m a firm believer of the ‘death of the author’ ideology so I’m not interested in listening to the actual creators or interviews with them or even rumors about the industry but podcasts about books themselves (much like FBB).

Comment by Vivek — February 24, 2009 @ 12:12 am