January 12, 2009

FBBP #86 – Presidential Power vs. Wingnut Welfare! Fight!

Chris, Jamaal & Joseph discuss the implications of Barack Obama’s appearance in this week’s Amazing Spider-Man. Should you be happy about having a “Nerd-in-Chief” or should you be sick of this sort of discussion? The FBB Crew decides for you! In Obama’s America, We Decide, You Report!

Also, stay tuned after the main event, because there’s an extra Wrestling Babylon segment. The mics were hot when Chris & Jamaal reminisced about wrestling in the late nineties, as they discuss one of the most postmodern storylines in wrestling history.

1. There are nerds in Europe. Comics are more mainstream than in America, but still, if you’re a trekkie or something like that, people will call you a nerd.

Comment by Berend — January 13, 2009 @ 7:39 am

2. Although, now that I think about it… I don’t think our Prime-Minister (or anyone else over 20-something) would be called a nerd is he bougth comics or played D&D. His opponents might call it weird, or even childish, but “nerd” is usually only used by teenagers.

Comment by Berend — January 13, 2009 @ 8:11 am

3. I like to make a public show of framing sports fans – particularly football (soccer to the Americans in the room) fans – as nerds, or if I’m feeling friendly the slightly more socially acceptable “geeks”. Reason being that I loathe the way certain highly obsessional behaviours are next to invisible to the culture at large. I’ve found that people are often genuinely surprised when they’re introduced to the idea that devoting enormous amounts of time to reading the back pages, surfing football sites, talking about football (both online and in RL), and thinking about football is, you know, not a million miles away from obsessing about comic books. In fact, I remember one conversation where a woman I was talking to got progressively more and more angry with her (absent) boyfriend as I laid out my thinking – as if she’d never noticed that she was a football widow before.

Comment by Zom — January 13, 2009 @ 10:02 am

4. How about “fancier” to replace “nerd”? It’s certainly a lot creepier.

Comment by Pete — January 13, 2009 @ 10:23 am

5. That’s an astonishingly brilliant suggestion

Comment by Zom — January 13, 2009 @ 6:13 pm

6. Only if we can start, Comic Fancy magazine, which would be exactly like Cat Fancy in every regard, except every photo of a cat would have a Dr. Doom mask photoshopped in.

Comment by Joseph Mastantuono — January 13, 2009 @ 6:34 pm

7. I’m not sure I want to reduce my comic fancying to Dr. Doom LOLcats, but given the bulk of comics blogging, that would be perfect.

Comment by Chris Eckert — January 13, 2009 @ 6:58 pm

8. Man, if Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart can expect to be taken seriously as political pundits, then so can anyone else. And the Buckleys at least have to stay on the ball to keep their job; Jon Stewart knows that if all else fails he can fall back on pandering to fratboys.

Comment by DensityDuck — January 13, 2009 @ 8:01 pm

9. Also, Reagan had a short cameo in “The Authority”, albeit after he’d died; this was the godawful(*) arc where the Authority were replaced by evil doppelgangers who were ordered to maintain the status quo.

(*)well okay, after Ellis left the whole thing was a mess, but this was worse than most

Comment by DensityDuck — January 13, 2009 @ 8:14 pm

10. What is it with people saying “Canadia” lately?

Comment by DensityDuck — January 13, 2009 @ 8:28 pm

11. Do Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart expect to be taken as political pundits?

I have no issue w/ anyone as long as they don’t embarrass themselves on a regular basis, as Goldberg does.

Comment by Jamaal Thomas — January 13, 2009 @ 8:39 pm

12. My issue is not with Christopher Buckley having a political stance, it’s more that it seems as if his particular stance was newsworthy primarily because of who his dad was, and the honorary position he held at a magazine because of his dad.

Christopher Buckley the Author has every right to make all the political endorsements he wants.

But Christopher Buckley the Son of Bill Buckley is the one that made all the headlines, and that strikes me as silly.

Comment by Chris Eckert — January 13, 2009 @ 9:04 pm

13. i really liked the wrestling babylon! it was cool listening to you guys discuss wrestling the way you discuss comics! & its nice that its the the era that i was watching & care about! i love the show & its one of my favorite podcast. your discussions are entertaining!! big thanks to david a. price from marvel noise for pointing me to you guys!

Comment by carlos cordova — January 14, 2009 @ 3:43 am

14. I just want to congratulate you guys on finding a rather ingenious way of creating podcasts that are both compact and tidy, AND meandering

Comment by Zom — January 14, 2009 @ 6:06 am

15. I have nothing to contribute other than I love when you guys talk wrestling.

Comment by ATOM HOTEP — January 14, 2009 @ 11:53 am

16. I have to say, I’ve never got the impression that Christopher Buckley was all that heavily-promoted.

On the other hand, the magazines I buy are about model planes and Japanese cartoons, and I haven’t bought a newspaper in over nine years, so maybe I’m just not up on who’s in columns these days.

Comment by DensityDuck — January 14, 2009 @ 1:20 pm

17. Wait, is Buckley (dad and son) being considered as serious commentator here? Really? I mean, the guy is no O’Reilly or Limbaugh, but he was a joke. Is faking a caricature of a faux douchy fop-accent (desperatly trying to be seen as snob) the only thing taken in consideration to be a “intellectual” in the U.S.?
    (oh God, of course, suddenly the presence of Hitchens in the world post-2000 just made sense)

And on another note, was I the only one who felt Obama’s appearance was mostly in sync with the fact that he appointed Osborn to the head of AllPowerfulShit, the guy who got his girlfriend pregnant and killed her? Taking Secret Invasion’s entire undertones (and overt ones — even if for fanboys the only “political moment” is Obama’s appearances) into consideration as the new road the company has been taking for some time now (let’s not even mention military recruiting ads outside and inside those stories), there seems to be some weird implications.

Comment by Mick — January 14, 2009 @ 1:50 pm

18. (sorry to linger)

And I’d suggest rethinking any brushing off of any suggestion of authoritarian streaks in Kennedy (but not from Goldberg, of course), taking in consideration his dreadful policies and actions towards Cuba, his initial stance towards civil rights struggles in the south (which changed afterwards), the initiation of programs to install right-wing nazi-style dictatorships throughout Latin America and the entire macho-esque halo surrounding his foreign policies and his PR management battles with some of the newspapers (all which is usually forgotten in the Oliver Stone field of “leftism” or films or the Alex Jones brand of conservatism and in comparisons of a center-right guy like Obama to Kennedy as if it were a good thing). Kennedy’s entire cult of personality, genuine charisma and streaks of “and the american way” of the times were quite troublesome (and in many ways, part of the web in the american cultural imagination that fits in that whole conservative streak that exists in either the ‘left’ or the ‘right’ spectrum in U.S. public discourse).

But, really, Goldberg is… damn, I don’t know what to think. I feel he’s there for the same reason Ann Coulter is there. When you propose, for instance, to arrest or kill off all muslims who won’t convert, extremist idiotic folks are made to seem less extreme and less idiotic.

Comment by Mick — January 14, 2009 @ 2:36 pm

19. Thanks, Zom.

Comment by Pete — January 14, 2009 @ 10:34 pm

20. Joe, in the PNW we do indeed call people who know too much about cars, and love cars car nerds.

Comment by Cactrot — January 15, 2009 @ 11:48 am