October 17, 2008

FBBP #76 – Wishes & Dreams

Filed under: Podcasts — Tags: , , , , , , — Chris Eckert @ 1:06 am

The gang plays God-Emperor a la Spurgeon, discusses a rumored Diamond buyout by DC, and heaps praise on Gilbert Hernandez’s Sloth.

Plus, a public service announcement: give Young Liars another chance. Turns out, they were all really big liars!

1. Great podcast, but it cuts out at the 1:03:26 mark (Chris is talking about the lemon grove in Sloth). I’m looking forward to the conclusion of your discussion!

Comment by Brian — October 17, 2008 @ 12:27 pm

2. Brian, I don’t know what happened with the last upload, but the full podcast should be up now. My apologies!

Comment by Chris Eckert — October 17, 2008 @ 1:57 pm

3. Very informative discussion of the distributor rumor – thanks. Good stuff as always.

Comment by matches — October 18, 2008 @ 8:32 am

4. I don’t think the iTunes feed has been updated. It shows 1:01 as the running time.

Comment by Kevin Huxford — October 19, 2008 @ 2:43 am

5. Don’t worry, ITunes has the right file, just the wrong time. If it’s still not working unsubscribe and resubscribe.

Comment by Pedro Tejeda — October 19, 2008 @ 2:02 pm

6. I had deleted the original and individually downloaded the file. After getting to check it out at the gym today, it was definitely the right version.

And Pedro? I know I pissed you off back in the day with the spoilers via RSS feed…but damn if you guys don’t have the best podcast out there. Funny & cerebral at the same time…which is rare.

Comment by Kevin Huxford — October 20, 2008 @ 3:57 am

7. As a group, have you guys ever thought of reviewing Ed Brubaker’s earlier work, “Deadenders” by Vertigo Comics? It came out as a series in the late 1990s and it had a lot of similar qualities that you all liked about Young Liars and Gibbon’s “The Originals” while also tying to your obvious man crushes on Brubaker.

I just wanted to throw it out there as a possible review podcast. If you can’t find the initial comics, I know that they can be found elsewhere using the computer.

Comment by Gary Ancheta — October 20, 2008 @ 11:17 pm

8. I read the first four issues of Dead Enders a long while ago. It’s some place in my boxes in a closet. I remember it being okay enough to pay half price for in trade. There was something just kind of plain about the ending of the last issue that didn’t do anything for me. I see that there was a year of stories after the trade so I’ll try to get the floppies and we’ll consider it. Thanks.

Comment by Pedro Tejeda — October 21, 2008 @ 7:30 am

9. I had the same problem with the initial issues too. The first four issues really didn’t do much for me, but the parts he started to shine was when he focused on this mod-like culture (which was very similar in The Originals) and the relationships between characters (falling in an out of relationships). These aspects really drew me in and I really don’t like The Who.

And the ending is not only remarkable because he had Warren Pleece and Cameron Stewart aping various different “love comics” pastiches from the 1960s to today (which would do tom veitch proud), but he also writes about the core of rebellious youth fiction that is a mixture of nostalgia and peace of mind that you are no longer young.

Deadenders, much like Will Pfiefer’s Finals, are works that should be given the trade because even though the ideas are pretty raw, it is such a good early work that shows others what the writer can do on his own. And it also introduced me to what I like to call Britpop Comics (like Blue Monday, Phonogram, and the Originals).

Comment by gary ancheta — October 21, 2008 @ 8:31 pm

10. I haven’t revisited Deadenders since it came out, but I remember being generally dissatisfied; I had liked Scene of the Crime by Brubaker, and I wonder if my mistaken belief that Philip Bond would be doing more than just covers tainted my enjoyment of the whole thing.

I had picked up Lowlife around the same time and didn’t care for it either, and while I kept following Deadenders to its conclusion, I really remember very little of it. I was in the middle of an Anglophilic phase (I was even doing a Britpop radio show) and somehow ended up with like three sets of the book, as friends kept buying the book, not liking it, then giving it to me since they figured it’d be my thing.

I reacted poorly to Phonogram too, though. Maybe I’ve got some weird bias against Britpop comics or something. I like Blue Monday though, and have shouted out Finals on the podcast before, so we can’t have diametrically opposed tastes.

But like I said, I haven’t looked at Deadenders (or Lowlife) in close to a decade, and have since come to like Brubaker quite a bit. I should give them a re-read.

Comment by Chris Eckert — October 22, 2008 @ 12:05 am

11. It might just be the way I read Deadenders, as a complete 16-issue series (I love comic stores that bundle series like that). It paced a lot better when I realized that it was finite. I definitely have a fondness for that that I don’t have with Phonogram. Phonogram is a comic series in a genre that I like, but it really doesn’t do anything for me. I feel like it should, but it just leaves me cold because it replaces symbolism with plot. It reminds me of when I gave my friend, who doesn’t read comics, a copy of JLA/Avengers. He always felt he missed a good portion of the plot because he didn’t follow comics and he didn’t know the trivia.

Maybe part of the reason why Phonogram is so dry (and why you didn’t like Deadenders), is that it didn’t have the fun of Britpop. Blue Monday is fun because it shows this culture as something vibrant and fun, even though the story isn’t always vibrant and fun. Even when you have something like DC’s Hellblazer, the actual references to punk are done in such a thoughtful and nostalgically fun way.

Comment by Gary Ancheta — October 22, 2008 @ 9:01 pm

12. Dude, you’ll send me cheesesteaks? Fanboy! FANBOY!

Although really, you’d do better to send a case of Yuengling.

…FANBOY FANBOY FANBOY!!!