October 10, 2008

New Mighty Avengers Team Revealed: Spoiler Warning!

Filed under: Blurbs — Tags: , , , , , , , — David Uzumeri @ 6:31 pm

Spoilers below the jump! Joe Q revealed the team!

Mighty Avengers #21-23 covers

Mighty Avengers #21-23 covers

Joe Q revealed this art from a “secret project.” Considering these quotes:

From http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090828-SlottAvengers.html

NRAMA: Are those coming out when the solicits are revealed for post-Secret Invasion?

DS: Our book will start after that, but they might reveal the first three covers, since they all link up and make a giant image together.

NRAMA: And the covers are by whom?

DS: Koi Pham.

Later:

NRAMA: But you did say there’s an Avengers founder.

DS: We will have one founding member. And there’s — oh, wait. OK, I can spill something. I’ll tell you this: We’ve just brought in Jocasta in Avengers: The Initiative. Somebody besides her is going to move with her over to Mighty. Jocasta will be one of our team.

So I think it’s pretty safe to say that team in the picture is the Mighty Avengers.

With… Iron Man or War Machine, the Hulk (no earrings and black hair means not Hulkling), Hercules, Stature, Vision, Captain Universe?, Jocasta, some dude with a gun (I might not recognize them from Initiative), and….

the fucking Scarlet Witch? What the fuck?

Well, this isn’t what I think anybody expected, and Slott certainly has a great deal of built-in potential for drama considering Vision currently has the mind of Iron Lad and wants to bone Stature, and they will probably be doing all of this, WHILE WANDA IS ON THE TEAM. Who is established as being utterly crazy.

This should be interesting, if nothing else, and I hope Slott pulls this off.

1. Holy Hell! Awesome I hadn’t seen this. I’m psyched to see Herc, especially with Pham drawing him. David, I’ve read evey issue of the Initiative and I swear I’ve never seen the guy with the Buck Rogers gun and the googles. The guy who you think looks like Captain Universe, I don’t know. He kind of looks like Captain America, but with no stars or wings. Maybe this is the Iron Patriot Slott has mentioned?

Comment by Mike — October 10, 2008 @ 9:07 pm

2. Nah, Iron Patriot was mentioned by Bendis as a member of Dark Avengers. Someone on Something Awful pointed out it might be Noh-Varr, and that’s an interesting idea, although I find it odd Slott is taking hold of most of Morrison’s MU concepts (he said he had a Skrull Kill Krew mini coming up).

Comment by David Uzumeri — October 10, 2008 @ 9:14 pm

3. Could gun/goggles guy be Paladin maybe?

Comment by James — October 11, 2008 @ 1:00 am

4. The dude with the gun is Hank Pym? That makes about as much sense as the Hulk and Scarlet Witch. I am betting that the mask-with-ears-but-not-Captain America-dude is some guy from The Initiative, as it looks like a lot of cast from that book comes over to Mighty Avengers. Is The Initiative canceled? It would seem to me that this book would take it’s place, yes?

Comment by Harold Sipe — October 11, 2008 @ 1:14 am

5. Whoa! If this image is the real deal and not a fake-out it raises so much questions! Like, are the Young Avengers still all together or is Vision and Stature both official staying with the Initiative/Might Avengers?? In Herc’s case, what about Amadeus Cho?? Is he gonna chill with them or just stay at Athena’s when Herc’s on Avengers’ business?? The Hulk is not only now trusted after WWH but also able-minded enough to fight bad guys as an Avenger?? Wanda isn’t crazy anymore?? Is that Hank Pym?? And Ironman is still alive/not imprisoned by Skrulls/villains/Mister Mxyzptlk???

KEWL!!

Comment by Preston — October 11, 2008 @ 1:23 am

6. Dan Slott won’t pull off Mighty Avengers. It will be terrible.

Comment by P_B — October 11, 2008 @ 1:38 am

7. Could the dude with the shield possibly be/or related to the Vance Astro currently showing up in Guardians of the Galaxy? Looking at the pencils it looks like a slightly modified (so the mouth/chin are showing) version of that costume.

Comment by Ted — October 11, 2008 @ 8:21 am

8. Looks like either Iron Man or the Hulk is the “founding member” on the team. It could be that the Hulk has some kinda Bullseye-on-the-Thunderbolts deal, though obviously less secret.

And I’m assuming Stature is the “somebody” from Initiative besides Jocasta. Zapgun Guy I’ll say is a Kree soldier in the wake of Secret Invasion, possibly Noh-Varr if Stature was asked if she knew somebody who’s a Wolverine and a Ms. Marvel. Generic guy could be USAgent.

Comment by HitTheTargets — October 11, 2008 @ 10:13 am

9. At first I thought Guy With Gun could be Pym, since the goggles kinda say “Yellowjacket” to me, but it could also totally be Noh-Varr.

But it probably won’t be Morrison’s Noh-Varr. :(

Comment by Dan Brown — October 12, 2008 @ 12:53 am

10. No one thinks “gun and goggles guy” could be Clint Barton? It hasn’t been confirmed that he’s going to be Ronin in New Avengers…

Comment by Bradley Nash — October 12, 2008 @ 4:17 pm

11. Because giving Clint Barton goggles and a gun was an absolutely fantastic idea last time.

No snarkyness intended, just sayin’…

Comment by Dan Brown — October 13, 2008 @ 12:03 pm

12. Amen to that brother.

Comment by Bradley Nash — October 13, 2008 @ 3:52 pm

13. […] love the triptych covers, but are there variants? I found this previously leaked image of a different Mighty Avengers […]

Pingback by Might Avengers #22 - a team reforged? | Heroes N Hunks — February 21, 2009 @ 7:43 pm