September 28, 2008

New New Avengers Lineup Leaked! Spoilers!

Filed under: Blurbs — Tags: , , , , , — David Uzumeri @ 10:12 pm

Yeah, apparently the full roster and cover for the post-Secret Invasion New Avengers has been leaked thanks to what I assume is the Dynamic Forces section of Previews.

Kevin Huxford, eat your heart out. (I know I said I hated spoilers, but this lineup makes me so excited I can’t contain myself.)

LO! BELOW!
Linkblogging this from Cable & Tweed:

newavg48-1-1

Oh shit! This is a great lineup for the vibe Bendis has been going for all along, and it’s clearly the assemblage of all of his favorite characters under one roof. Bendis is a talented enough writer to pull this off, though, and I am very excited about this book, team and concept. From the time the book launched, New Avengers has always straddled this weird line between the Fan A-List and Marvel Universe A-List – two distinctly separate entities. We love the X-Men; Marvel Universe John Doe hates them. We love the New Avengers; MU John Doe thinks they’re terrorists. Don’t even get me started on Spidey. Bendis excels at writing underdogs and scapegoats, and that’s the entire damn membership of this team.

UPDATE: I love how they call it the first major roster change since the first issue. What? Have they read the comic? Civil War, people…

1. Is that five or six characters? I can’t make out who the top center is (if that’s even a character.)

Comment by Brian G. — September 28, 2008 @ 11:46 pm

2. How does adding Bucky to your lineup equal a “major roster change”???

Comment by Dasbender — September 29, 2008 @ 7:37 am

3. You’re joking, right? Captain Buckmerica, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, and Ronin (WHO IS IT THIS TIME???!!!???!!111)

Been there.

Comment by Squashua — September 29, 2008 @ 1:26 pm

4. Been there when, exactly?

Comment by david brothers — September 29, 2008 @ 1:38 pm

5. Just when I think New Avengers can’t get less interesting, Bendis astonishes me with his total lack of ability to create tension. It’s basically the exact same team as before SI, as if you could have ever really called it a team.

Comment by Josh — September 29, 2008 @ 2:30 pm

6. “It’d be nice if they address, even in the slightest, how Wolverine can be stationed in San Fran yet operate (read: sit around and quip) with the New Avengers.”

Expect his every first appearance in a storyline to have a “BAMF” from off-panel.

Comment by Syrg — September 29, 2008 @ 3:43 pm

7. I don’t wanna be a snark blogger, but I’m not getting a huge shake-up feeling here either. Good to see Bucky & the underground Avengers hooking up though.

Comment by HitTheTargets — September 29, 2008 @ 4:08 pm

8. It’s a good line-up and it’s to Bendis credit that I’m interested in, well, Cage and actually 616 Spidey in any form (not because I give a shit about OMD, grow up) and I’m actually kinda psyched to see Bucky Cap on a line-up. There again – I do not like Billy Tan very much at all and I was equally excited to see another character Brubaker had made so compelling (Iron Fist) in the last line-up reshuffle and he did basically nothing with him. I mean, obviously, Cap, yeah, Avengers, could be interesting.

Comment by Duncan — September 29, 2008 @ 7:34 pm

9. My point isn’t that it’s a major shakeup, it’s that now the landscape has settled to the point where there is a definite audience for what is basically the Bendis Dream Team book. This is the pure distillation of that sort of low-rent hard-luck superheroes together! vibe that New Avengers had at its best, that connection with the people in scenes like Cage organizing the impact superhero work at the beginning of The Collective, or any time Logan, Cage and Spidey got into a conversation.

Duncan, I admit Iron Fist is a loss, but it’s also a really small-ass scan and maybe he’s in the issue itself. Maybe he actually is dying in this current arc of Immortal Iron Fist. And I’d hardly say Brubaker did all the work in making him compelling; that utterly pitch-perfect final issue was all Fraction.

Comment by David Uzumeri — September 29, 2008 @ 7:39 pm

10. No, absolutely, it was just for the sake of the comparison with Bucky/The Winter Soldier/Captain America that I used Bru’s name. The point was that Danny Rand was wasted in NA (what did he do? buy them a flat?) and that Bucky might also be, but being he bears the mantle of Cap now, it does seem a great deal less likely.

I also kind of hated ‘The Collective’? although I like the idea of post-Tbolts Deodato on this Dark Avengers book. Most of NAs has been pretty decent stuff, occasionally great (post-CW), I’m just noncommittal right now because Secret Invasion has turned into a big, wet squib and I’m ready, partly for financial reasons, to jettison something.

Comment by Duncan — September 29, 2008 @ 8:43 pm

11. I love where the Avengers books are going!

New Avengers: The Bendis avengers, the AVengers who are not really Avengers but deserve to be!

Mighty Avengers: Slott’s classic Avengers, in all their Avengery glory! Jarvis! Jocasta! Assemble!

Dark Avengers: based on Bendis’ interview about Dark Reign today on the Rama, it’s pretty bloody obvious that these are super-villains/unconventional heroes who now have the opportunity to lead/control the MU in the wake of SI and Shield/Tony Stark/all the heroes’ failures. Really, can you blame Bendis for the name? What, was he supposed to call them Evil Avengers? Anyways, evil Avengers!

Avengers: The Initiative: Should be re-named Initiating Avengers for title synergy! Still great though!

Young Avengers: In Progress!

(note: none of this is sarcasm, I am excited too)

Comment by Preston — September 30, 2008 @ 1:58 am

12. I’m excited about the new New Avengers lineup, Slott’s thing too. I hope he keeps Ares, though. What I’m really dying to learn is a)Whether the Dark Avengers are comprised of the villains in the “Illuminaughty” picture that’s been circulating and b)who is the man with the tie in the middle?

Comment by Mike — September 30, 2008 @ 6:04 pm

13. Ha! Eat my heart out? This isn’t even the whole line up. If you didn’t dislike spoilers so much, I might tell you one of the folks missing from the cover. ;)

Comment by Kevin Huxford — October 5, 2008 @ 9:06 pm