September 17, 2008

FBBP #72 – [Expletive Deleted] [fixed]

Filed under: Podcasts — Tags: , , , , , , , , — Joseph Mastantuono @ 10:55 pm

NOTICE: We had an export issue on our previous post of this podcast. If you have downloaded it, please listen to this one instead, the second half of the Achewood discussion on the previous one got garbled. I blame Apple, and their lack of support for Soundtrack Pro.

This Week: We review Chris Onstad’s The Great Outdoor Fight, discuss the All-Star Batman & Robin controversy, talk Final Crisis: Revelations and debut a new segment, “Yes, This is Being Published”.

YTiBP’s debut topic is Vertigo’s forthcoming Haunted Tank series. You can read a special preview of it on this toilet seat. No, really.

After cutting this podcast, I realized that yes, I am a Hater. Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate! I got Silky Johnson and Buc Nasty on lock, I’m gonna be Hater of the Year!

We go into a lot of detail about the Great Outdoor Fight, so if you aren’t a regular Achewood reader and don’t want your experience “spoiled” you can read the whole story online before listening. Or don’t, just don’t come crying if we reveal the final fate of The Latino Health Crisis.

1. I love you guys, I really do. But you broke my brain for putting up all your podcasts. I decided to listen to all of them.

It hurt my brain. I did notice that you don’t interrupt each other with “This (blank) is stupid! But I’m sorry I interrupted you, go on” as you went through to the later podcasts, but it still hurt my brain badly.

You are one of the most educated and articulate podcasts on comics, but damn if it didn’t hurt.

Comment by gary ancheta — September 17, 2008 @ 11:18 pm

2. Did you guys start huffing helium 12 minutes from the end? Everyone’s voice seems about a half octave higher for some reason.

Comment by EndlessMike — September 18, 2008 @ 8:47 am

3. Damn, another great podcast. Glad to hear the positive things about GOF, and I was chuckling the whole way through at the Haunted Tank jokes. “Who’s House? Jeb’s House.” Now just promise to do another piece on what a horrible excuse for a writer Hannibal Tatu is and I’ll sign up for FBB platinum without a second thought. But seriously, these have been amazing lately, especially the SI podcasts.

Comment by Mike — September 18, 2008 @ 7:51 pm

4. Joseph, it’s ok if you’re a hater. I actually like listening what you have to say. It’s helped me better analyze the comics I read.

I do have to ask though, what comics DO you like? I’d like to check them out.

Comment by Joe Don Baker — September 18, 2008 @ 10:07 pm

5. (pulls pipe aside)
    Quite, it’s refreshing to see Joseph’s “Player Hater” view, in the parlance of our times. It feels like a balancing critic outlook that brings some enlightening perspective into the frenzy of all of our excessive comics-loving.

It’s the same from Jamaal (I believe it’s Jamaal) being a bit less forgiving towards some of the works that are a bit too blindly beloved by all (including me, specially when it comes to Grant Morrison’s books). It’s nice to get that thought “oh yeah, if it were any other author, I’d give this to my dog as toilet paper when the silk runs out” and come to terms that there’s some insulation at hand in the excessive lore/love of a author’s career.

(No, I have no idea why I’m doing a richie rich persona in an anonymous internet comment)

Comment by Carl Weathers — September 18, 2008 @ 10:33 pm

6. I hope the next podcast will have a large portion devoted to All-Star Superman discussion. Not just of the ending but the entire run.

I predict Chris and Pedro will give it a lot of love, Joe will somehow not get it and think it could have somehow been better if Morrison wrote the story for a Marvel character, and Jamaal will give it his highest praise to date – “it was very adequate”

I’m enjoying these each week, especially since I don’t have a group of friends I can discuss comics with since all our interests are vastly different. Thanks for doing them guys.

Comment by JFC — September 20, 2008 @ 5:07 pm

7. First time listening and I really enjoyed it. There was one guy though who I absolutely could not hear so please speak up :)

Comment by wildlele — September 20, 2008 @ 9:05 pm

8. JFC, you would be wrong about that line-up. According to IM’s I think it’s 2 loves, 1 like, and 1 so-so about All-Star Superman. You’ll find out soon, who’s who.

Comment by Joseph Mastantuono — September 20, 2008 @ 10:01 pm

9. We demand All Star Superpodcast now, damn it! Now!

Comment by Carl Weathers — September 20, 2008 @ 10:35 pm

10. ?? I’m a little confused, it seems like the first three minutes are actually the last three minutes of a previous podcast?

Comment by DensityDuck — September 26, 2008 @ 1:25 pm

11. […] Previous “Yes, This is Being Published” subject The Haunted Tank is now amongst the ranks of Has Been Published, and we discussed whether or not “A Racist-Ass Old Confederate Ghost teams up with a multi-ethnic group of wisecrackers to murder a lot of Iraqis” is everything it promised to be. […]

Pingback by Funnybook Babylon · Archives · FBBP #82 - — December 9, 2008 @ 3:50 am