September 10, 2008

FBBP #71 – Back to School with a Song

Jamaal is back and it’s time for him to pay the piper! What song must he sing? Stay tuned to the end, true believers!

In the spoken word portion of the podcast, we discuss the new Secret Six, Marvel Apes and Sub-Mariner: The Depths mini-series, and spin off into a larger discussion of Depths author Peter Milligan’s other recent series Infinity Inc. and The Programme. Milligan has built up a lot of goodwill with series like X-Statix, Human Target and Shade the Changing Man, but how do his newer books stack up? Listen and learn!

Finally, our resident canary in the mineshaft Chris has decided to join the MARCH ON ULTIMATUM, and gives a recap of Aron Coliete’s initial Ultimate X-Men arc. In this metaphor, the canary has died and had its corpse repeatedly defiled.

1. I demand a re-do

Where was the emotion Jamaal???? lol

Comment by Panamagreen — September 10, 2008 @ 5:41 pm

2. I blame it all on nerves. Nerves, and an insufficient amount of alcohol.

Comment by Jamaal Thomas — September 10, 2008 @ 7:18 pm

3. You almost made me want to buy Marvel Apes. Is that a good thing?

Also, I DO want to read a Milligan/Lovecraft/Namor book. Pitch that sucker to DiDio as an Aquaman revamp.

Comment by TimCallahan — September 11, 2008 @ 1:29 am

4. Please never lose a bet again. I can’t believe I allowed that noise to play through my speakers.

Comment by Miguel — September 11, 2008 @ 8:20 am

5. Miguel,

I don’t think you could have possibly disliked it as much as I did. I will try my hardest to never lose a bet again (or better yet, only make bets while completely sober).

Comment by Jamaal — September 11, 2008 @ 8:53 am

6. Race Riots: When disgruntled runners take out their frustations during the 40 meter dash?

Comment by Zebtron — September 11, 2008 @ 11:07 am

7. That was some damn fine singin’. Really enjoyed this weeks podcast, somehow you guys can talk about just about everything and somehow it is interesting to me.

Comment by NickBeith — September 11, 2008 @ 12:52 pm

8. Definitely not enough attempt to actually sing it…more like talking through. I think we all want a redo. And, to make it easier on Jamaal, do it after the comic book talk that is always accompanied by libation. That should get more of a commitment to the music from Mr. Thomas. ;)

Comment by Kevin Huxford — September 11, 2008 @ 1:57 pm

9. The UXMen rundown in the first 10 mins there is brilliant – how you managed to say those words without snorting, howling and collapsing into laughter I’ll never know. The bit about Cyclops being able to fire lasers out of ‘every part of his body’ was a particular act of deadpan skill for which you should be applauded.

The revelation that Colossus has been a (gay!!) drug addict since the comic began, despite half the people he knows being actual mind readers, is funny enough, but to compound it with the fact that without his sweet sweet candy his mutant power is being an immobile piece of modernist sculpture, approaches an undiscovered variety of twisted genius. It’s very possible that, despite appearances, the muppet responsible for these developments isn’t the unfortunate lackwit he’s trying so hard to seem – perhaps in reality he’s a chameleonic master of high comedy, sniggering behind his hand at us all.

Comment by bobsy — September 12, 2008 @ 9:34 am

10. Yeah, that rundown was amazing in one of the lesser known uses of the word. It’s getting harder to remember the good parts of Heroes from the first season.

Comment by HitTheTargets — September 12, 2008 @ 1:34 pm

11. Regarding Trinity, to be fair, Chris sort of screwed up a bunch of shit in his retelling.

First of all, I didn’t get the vibe at all that other superheroes had shown up, and all the dudes they had imprisoned in their satellite were just other random superheroes from Antimatter Earth – which it is, BTW, not Earth-3. And the thing with Riddler having to go evil in one world because New Earth Riddler went good is sort of the major crux of the matter/antimatter relationship and has been since all the way back in JLA Earth-2, the idea that events in the matter universe cause perverted mirrors in the antimatter, and not vice versa.

Comment by David Uzumeri — September 12, 2008 @ 6:52 pm

12. Jamal,

I dug the karaoke, for what it’s worth. But the geek in me wants to know what song you were covering. R. Kelly?

Comment by Scott — September 16, 2008 @ 6:49 pm

13. Simon Bisley did a book of illustrations based on the bible (which is extremely strong art even for people who don’t care about the bible), and I think he is now doing a lot of fine art painting and some cover work for Heavy Metal. He had an official website but for some reason that website disappeared. I would guess he’s tired of the comic industry :)

Comment by JM Ringuet — September 19, 2008 @ 12:03 pm