July 28, 2008

Superman/Batman FIFTIETH ISSUE SPECIAL! Or, How to Make Money off Art You Already Paid For

Filed under: Blurbs — Tags: , , , , , , — David Uzumeri @ 4:23 pm

I understand DC’s sitting on this artwork, but if I were doing the 50th issue of Superman/Batman, I’d be kind of annoyed if this was the cover treatment the issue got:

Superman/Batman #50 covers

Superman/Batman #50 covers

Hey, these look famili–

Superman/Batman #23 solicited cover

Superman/Batman #27 cover given at announcement of Verheiden/Van Sciver taking over the book

Oh. (Note: Neither of these covers ended up actually being used, hence this.)

1. Oh, good god. They haven’t even changed the Dickbat. Has no one pointed it out to them, or what?

Comment by Ryan — July 28, 2008 @ 5:13 pm

2. I gave up on Superman/Batman about 47 issues ago, and it looks like DC has too.

Comment by Brad Bice — July 28, 2008 @ 7:32 pm

3. I actually really enjoyed the recent Michael Green/Mike Johnson arc, and am looking forward to this issue. I’d just expect the fiftieth issue of a former flagship title to get, you know, its own cover.

Comment by David Uzumeri — July 28, 2008 @ 7:52 pm

4. S/B is starting to feel like JLA Classified and Superman Confidential did: inventory drawer clearinghouse books that will be traded if at all decent and quickly forgotten otherwise.

Comment by Aaron Poehler — July 29, 2008 @ 4:05 pm

5. Wonder if it’ll still be Bruce as the Bat by the time that rolls around.

I took Batman’s “Superman, Superman” when Clark complained that he had to go act like Clark Kent or blow his identity out of the water to be Morrison’s nudge that whoever Batman is in Final Crisis, he’s not somebody who knew that Superman was Clark Kent – until the point the farmboy blurted it out to his “old friend”.

Does Tim Drake know Clark’s Superman? Does Dick Grayson? Jason Todd?

Comment by Jbird — July 30, 2008 @ 3:04 am

6. ^That’s Final Crisis #2, by the way.

Comment by Jbird — July 30, 2008 @ 3:06 am

7. They all know he’s Superman. I just took that to be sort of a talking-to-yourself “Oh, that Superman with his private life and social circles”.

Comment by David Uzumeri — July 30, 2008 @ 9:21 am

8. I hope you anti-didio fags get run over by a tonka.
    That’s all

Comment by MickFar-vell — July 30, 2008 @ 5:55 pm

9. Dc are really not doing their best lately and it is much more than the cover

Comment by Katherine — July 31, 2008 @ 7:22 am

10. Ever wonder how Thomas Wayne met Jor-El? NOW THE STORY CAN BE TOLD

Comment by Jbird — July 31, 2008 @ 5:33 pm

11. Yeah, uh, I read this issue, and while I thought Green/Johnson’s last arc had a lot of promise, this was the most utterly pointless fanwank ever. This didn’t need to happen. I don’t know what Berganza was thinking when he rubberstamped this story.

The part about T-Wayne convincing Jor-El that humans are pretty cool wasn’t even the most painful part. That honor went to the entire Waynecorp fortune being built off of reverse-engineered Kryptonian technology. What. The. Fuck.

Comment by David Uzumeri — July 31, 2008 @ 7:09 pm