July 22, 2008

FBBP #64 – Transmedia, the “Synergy” of 2K8

Filed under: Podcasts — Tags: , , , , , , , , — Funnybook Babylon @ 4:25 pm

Back from a long hiatus due to birthdays, movings, and sheer laziness, the Funnybook Babylon crew discusses two recent standout books:

Geoff Johns and Scott Kollin’s Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge #1 has some kinetic art that Joe loves, but does Chris warm to Johns’s new treatment of the Flash Rogues? We also discuss the recently completed Omega the Unknown series by Jonathan Lethem, Farel Dalrymple and Paul Hornschemeier.

We end the podcast with a round-up of Paul Levitz’s speech on Transmedia, The Watchmen Trailer, the “Moving Comics” initiative, and whatever crazy ideas DC decides to shove into another medium.

After SDCC, we are totally going to work FBB into a video game like Def Jam Fight for New York. All your favorite comic bloggers will be in it.

Finally, please vote for a song for Jamaal to sing in three weeks. Try to pick something from the Batman Soundtracks or Celene Dion related. He’s totally gonna have to do it.

1. Some additional shownotes:

I did a horrible job of explaining “Transmedia”, but I can take solace in knowing I still did a better job than Levitz. Here’s a primer from Henry Jenkins, coiner of the term: Transmedia Storytelling 101.

Jenkins actually uses a lot of examples in his handout from DC’s marketing strategies, but the Watchmen movie/moving comic/comic is telling the exact same story over multiple media. The recent Gotham Knight DVD is a much better example, in addition to the ones Jenkins cites. It’s interesting to note that a lot of the examples he uses of transmedia are generally regarded as Kind of Terrible by fancircles, but it’s a new storytelling language, so there will be growing pains. The Watchmen “moving comic” is certainly a more feasible idea than Malibu’s $25-an-issue clunky-ass CD-Romix, but is it it good enough for people to actually want to pay for it?

Also, our discussion of Omega was heavily informed (at least on my part) by Jog’s excellent piece over on Savage Critic, so go check that out if I didn’t make any sense.

Comment by Chris Eckert — July 22, 2008 @ 4:49 pm

2. Gotham City by R. Kelly.

Another nice podcast by the way.

Comment by Mike — July 22, 2008 @ 8:55 pm

3. Why not just do Batdance? For the Titanic guy, drop a little Damn I Feel like A Woman. But you’ll need horns.

Comment by Tucker Stone — July 22, 2008 @ 10:11 pm

4. I’m in “Australia or shit” and I can confirm that the AC is not on.

Comment by Paul — July 23, 2008 @ 5:22 am

5. Kiss from a Rose!!!!!

Comment by Panamagreen — July 23, 2008 @ 9:24 am

6. I don’t even remember ‘Damn I feel like a woman’, but I’m game. I don’t know if Joe mentioned this on the podcast, but the context for the bet is that I think the hyperbole related to Dark Knight is a little overblown. Even though it had a fantastic opening weekend, the main reason it can’t compete with a movie like Titanic is that it won’t have the same kind of staying power in the theaters. One reason is that the movie industry has changed a lot in ten years. Another is that summer blockbusters don’t typically have staying power, partially because there are so many of them. If you look at Box Office Mojo, there are about fifteen films that got to $400 million (domestic) before Titanic, but almost all of those films stopped making money afterwards.

Either way, a bet’s a bet.

On an entirely unrelated topic, I had absolutely no interest in Omega. I loved Jog and Mory Buckman’s pieces more than the book itself. I really liked your discussion of it though.

Comment by Jamaal — July 23, 2008 @ 11:13 am

7. I think ‘Kiss From A Rose’ should be the song.

However, it would be better if someone could record him dancing the Batman from Batman ’89.

Another great podcast guys. The past couple podcasts have been very tight and to the point. I look forward to every one.

Comment by JoeDonBaker — July 24, 2008 @ 12:11 pm

8. Hey. Just listened to this yesterday, the first Funnybook Babylon podcast I’ve heard. I actually don’t think it was that tight — you spend some time just yapping, not getting to the point, which might be fun for people who know you but can be off-putting to new listeners. Still, I was engaged enough to listen to the whole thing and I’ll check out a few more. So, all in all: Good job! :-)

As for the bet … Wow, I can’t imagine “DK” will topple “Titanic.” That thing ran for MONTHS, spurred by moviegoers (esp. women of various ages) who watched teary-eyed as their Romantic/Hollywood notion of love was confirmed by Leonardo’s doomed sacrifice for Kate. Plenty of people already have seen “DK” repeatedly (twice, here) but I can’t imagine it’ll outpace “Titanic.” For one thing, it’s too dark; not enough people will want to sit through that repeatedly, because there’s no triumph or catharsis at the end.

Anyway, in case a song must be sung, I advise you peruse the truly laughable track list from Prince’s soundtrack to Burton’s first “Batman.” The most especially hilarious number would be Prince (dueting with Sheena Easton, I believe) on “Arms of Orion.” Yikes! (Though if you could make him do a video podcast, then he should have to sing AND DANCE to “Partyman.”) I hope Jamaal loses just so we can hear him pony up!

Comment by Rebis — July 24, 2008 @ 8:45 pm

9. Rebis: thanks for listening, and welcome.

First off, the bet is only for the first month’s worth of box office for each respective film, so the “legs” the film has longterm are kind of immaterial. But you make a very valid point.

We’re usually a *little* more to the point in our introductions, but wander more during the bulk of the show. It’s hard to get three or four friends in a room and keep on topic and concise for an hour, but we’re trying.

Do people like the chatty “cold openings”, or would listeners (perhaps listening without the benefit of iTunes descriptions) prefer a more concise “table of contents”?

Comment by Chris Eckert — July 25, 2008 @ 1:44 am

10. Rebis: We’re happy to have you as a new listener! I’m open to ‘Arms of Orion’. Even though Chris is correct in his understanding of the bet, the argument between Joe and I did relate to the long-term prospects of the Dark Knight. We chose a month because we wanted something that was kind of long term, but not so far into the future that we would entirely forget the bet. I will readily concede that this was not a good idea.

I endorse the ‘table of contents’ idea.

Comment by Jamaal — July 25, 2008 @ 11:08 am

11. […] say it’s still on my Amazon wish list, but you can check out the thoughts of my fellow FBBers here. Darlrymple’s also responsible for Pop-Gun War, which is very cool-looking and on the list of […]

Pingback by Funnybook Babylon · Archives · Avenging the Week pt 6 - The Chronic Break — May 25, 2010 @ 4:40 pm