April 9, 2008

FBBP #52 – Snark Invasion of Three Worlds

Filed under: Podcasts — Funnybook Babylon @ 6:00 pm

This week FBB’s resident chained mad dog, Jonathan Bernhardt gets to sit with the gang at the adult table and young buck has a big appetite! Topics discussed over dinner this week include The Legion of Three Worlds, a little book called Secret Invasion, the snark that follows it across the blogalaxy, and Steven Spielberg.

A Personal Message from the editors to you, the listener! I hope you enjoy these guest spots we have been doing lately. Joe has worked very hard to knock out some of the technical difficulties that occurred on the David Brothers cast and has gotten around them that we will contiune to do them again. Please respond back to let us know what you think of them. Thanks again for listening.

1. Loved the episode — great discussion. I’ve never been able to get into the Legion for one reason or another — I’ve got enough stuff to read, anyway.

I do have one complaint that one or more of you might take offense to. I’ve only recently discovered the podcast, and it’s my new favorite, but you guys need to get some new music. That Huggabroomstick stuff is really bad and just doesn’t work. There’s edgy fringe stuff that goes against the corporate pop radio grain, and then there’s just bad music. You can find better, catchier, and less aurally-grating, surely.

Comment by Pop-Monkey — April 9, 2008 @ 11:53 pm

2. I was a bit adversed to Huggabroomstick at first. I believed I called it “some ironic indie wack shit” and demanded that Joe change it something more awesome and less “bullshit fringe stuff that goes against the corporate pop radio grain”.

I still fucking sing the songs on the podcast and get yelled at about it 50 episodes later. We generally receive very good remarks about our usage of the band. I personally don’t think of the song as making some grand statement about corporate pop radio anymore.

The song has really grown on us and we like it a lot, we also know the band personally and they given us the rights to put it on the podcast. In the past I think we would have been more open to finding another band that would give us the rights to playing their music or even a song that may be more catchy.

Considering we are in the beginning part of the new year, I’m not saying we wouldn’t change the songs used in the podcast, but at this point the other options would have to be really really good to make us change our minds at this point.

Comment by Pedro Tejeda — April 10, 2008 @ 6:27 am

3. Pop-Monkey, they are *far* more than some edgy fringe ‘against the grain’ band. They’re definitely not about making any grand statements about ‘corporate rock’ and generally stay outside of such ridiculous arguments. I urge you to take another look, and hopefully you’ll hear past the aurally grating and get kernel of what they’re trying to get at.

Perhaps it’s not the perfect stuff to kick off a show, but It’s better than the generic royaltyfree crap that appears in other podcasts I hear.

As an aside: hit up this link for probably the best hour of radio about music ever produced: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2006/04/21

Comment by Joseph Mastantuono — April 10, 2008 @ 12:08 pm

4. Chris gives me too much credit. While I’m not totally clueless about comics (I think I’ve listened to enough FBB podcasts and have enough loquacious comic-loving friends to claim a mild knowledge base), my carpool, Merrill, did explain the general plot points, background exposition, and brief histories of some of the featured characters in Secret Invasion #1. Ant-Man happened to be a lucky stab in the dark before either of us had read the issue.

Since Chris has tried fruitlessly for years to get me to read comics, I’ll let the “video games and punk rock” generalization slide. But he should know better.

Comment by Liz aka The Mythical Unicorn — April 10, 2008 @ 12:20 pm

5. Ms Mythical Uni,

I hear you play Mario Kart, Guitar Hero, and Street Fighter. If it can play fake plastic guitar like a duck… well you know.

Pop-Monkey,

Pay no mind to Joe’s bias ass, he loves the band. The songs are fun to listen but I don’t think they are as deep as he’s making them out to be. But like Joe said, it’s still a lot better than what we can get for free.

Joe,

“Get a Kernal of what they’re trying to get at”? Are you writing for Pitchfork? I love you, but not everyone has the same tastes.

New game, mention what song you think we should put on the podcast if we could avoid paying royalties.

I suggest “Daytona 500” for no reason.

Comment by Pedro Tejeda — April 10, 2008 @ 1:29 pm

6. Any song free of royalties? I’m gonna keep the Ghostface theme and say “Supa GFK,” because it’s more gangsta.

Here’s a question, could you use songs from mixtapes not commercially released without paying royalties? Like, could you use a song from that free Rhymefest/ Mark Ronson Michael Jackson tribute mixtape? It’s pretty awesome plus they couldn’t sue you without getting sued by Michael Jackson! lol

Whatever happened to the “tickle my time machine” song? Was that changed with the new season of podcasts? I seem to remember something like that, but I forgot! lol

There were spoilers for The Wire Season 5 in a stupid Atom book??? Season 5 *just* ended! I watch that show on DVD! What an asshole that writer is! I’m glad I don’t read the Atom….

The Blue Beetle Spanish issue mystifies me. I just don’t get the point. Why? Is there some huge demand in the Latino community for an all Spanish issue of Blue Beetle? I don’t see how there’s going to be any mainstream attention for this. Who cares? I mean, I can see your arguement – Blue Beetle doesn’t sell, so no matter what we do, we can’t screw it up. I just don’t get why a company would publish a title they’ve basically given up on.

Speaking of Bendis and his dialog, I miss the fun stuff Bendis used to do like Fortune & Glory. He doesn’t do that style of comic anymore, and it’s a shame.

The problem I have with the whole Doom dialog thing is who the fuck cares? The whole thing reeks to me of Comic Book Guy level obsession. That being said, Doom has always been one of my absolute favorite characters. My favorite version of him is the one in Twisted Toyfare Theater. I think every issue of Fantastic Four should have doom working on some insanely convoluted plan only to be foiled by Franklin and H.E.R.B.I.E. I have a *very* hard time taking Doom seriously and that’s why I love him.

The Satchel Paige book was boring as Hell. Like, a lot of people think indie comics are boring or whiney or whatever, and it’s books like the Satchel Paige book that make people think that. The truth is there are bad books in every genre; it’s not just superhero comics or baseball comics that are bad. I just hope nobody reads a book like the Satchel Paige one and then dismiss something like Love & Rockets. I’m not saying you guys would, I’m just saying that’s a fear of mine.

The Secret Invasion reviews on the web were shitty as shitty can be. There’s lots of bad writers that just want to gain some indie cred by ripping off the Dirk Deppey style of being a funny asshole who hates superhero comics.

Comment by Kenny — April 10, 2008 @ 3:37 pm

7. Street Fighter? WTF?

Granted, I play a little Mario here, a little Guitar there. Doesn’t mean Chris is off the hook.

Comment by Liz aka The Mythical Unicorn — April 10, 2008 @ 4:41 pm

8. Hey, I’m trying to work my way backwards through the podcast archives, but the links for 1-16, 32, & 34 are dead, and for whatever reason iTunes doesn’t even list anything before 35.

Comment by Joe Iglesias — April 11, 2008 @ 12:41 am

9. For reasons I don’t fully understand, some episodes were corrupted during site fix. We seem to have almost all of them and will upload them soon but are missing 15,16. Does anyone happen to have those?

Thanks

Comment by Pedro Tejeda — April 11, 2008 @ 1:22 pm

10. Will Pfeiffer wrote H.E.R.O which was another high point in his career.

Comment by Paul Hicks — April 13, 2008 @ 3:05 am

11. Hey guys
    I’m the artist on Transhuman, co-created with Jonathan Hickman and I wanted to thank you for your nice review on the podcast. You guys are real tough (I remember that Casanova review) and it was truly good to see you liked the book, and didn’t even hate the art.
    As Joe said I’m from Europe (France actually) so there is probably something European in my style although my inspirations are mainly American and in a lesser way Japanese. I think the fact I’m doing lineart with no inked blacks or shadows gives the art that European style.

Comment by JM Ringuet — April 14, 2008 @ 10:00 am

12. C’est bien de savoir que je suis pas le seul français ici!

Comment by Joseph Mastantuono — April 14, 2008 @ 12:02 pm

13. JM,

I’m only a listener/ reader on this page, but I wanted to let you know I *really* enjoyed Transhuman! I felt your art was *really* strong and definitely helped the story a *lot*!

Comment by Kenny — April 14, 2008 @ 12:11 pm

14. I don’t know where to ask this, but, could you please review the Flight: Explorer anthology in your next podacst? I’ve been enamored with it and have given about 5 copies out to people so far, but I’m curious what you guys think. Thanks!

Comment by Kenny — April 14, 2008 @ 3:14 pm

15. I believe the Flight Explorer is a reprint of stuff from the first 4 flight books. If it is, I generally liked most of it but I lean towards visual stuff more than the other guys.

Comment by Pedro Tejeda — April 14, 2008 @ 3:20 pm

16. We like words. If Pedro or Chris have a copy within their warehouses of comics, I’d be open to reviewing Flight Explorer.

Comment by Jamaal Thomas — April 14, 2008 @ 9:31 pm

17. Thanks Joe and Kenny!

It’s my first book out as an artist so it’s not the best I can do but I’m trying my best. Transhuman is a fun and captivating book I think. Issue #2 out at the end of this month with a lot of new characters, new locales and some cyberpunk implants! (And more monkeys too).

Joe: Oui les Francais envahissent peu a peu l’industrie comic US. Excellent boulot sur le podcast, je ne manques aucun episode.

Comment by JM Ringuet — April 15, 2008 @ 8:48 am