March 10, 2008

Comics Oracle’s Crystal Ball: Marvel Exclusives?

Filed under: Blurbs — David Uzumeri @ 4:19 pm

Saw this all up on the latest Lying in the Gutters:

EXCLUSIVE FISHING

[Green Light]Look for three major DC names to make a move to Marvel rather shortly. Two exclusive artists and one of my favourite comic book writers of all time who transformed one ill-regarded book into an all time classic.

Let the guesses begin… and watch for future “Young X-Men” covers for a clue.

For the writer, no question: Peter Milligan. Infinity Inc. is on the road to cancellation (to put it lightly), Johnston’s little blurb is clearly meant to red herring towards Morrison (for whom leaving DC makes no damn sense) and Milligan has been around long enough for Johnston to like him, is in his whole British taste-sphere, and fairly definitely transformed X-Force from a gun-totin’ piece of crap into an all time classic.

As for the artists, the obvious guesses are the Kuberts, who seem to have been placed at DC by Joe Quesada to screw up their biggest books as hard as possible. I’m not saying it happened, but man, they did a whole lot of damage. They’re both ostensibly in the middle of new projects for DC, but it’s not like unfinished commitments are alien to these guys.

That said, it seems *too* obvious. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to instead see names like Cliff Chiang (who just jumped off Green Arrow/Black Canary), Sean Chen (Salvation Run was a bomb), Phil Hester or even Pete Woods or Jamal Igle (who DC would be absolutely insane to let go). Or maybe he’s just behind and he means the Dodsons, who already have solicited Young X-Men #1 and #2 covers.

Still, though: My bet’s on Milligan.

1. Is Hester even DC exclusive? It wasn’t long ago he was drawing Ant-Man. Milligan sounds like a good bet. I doubt the Kuberts’ contracts are done just yet, and I don’t really know if Marvel would want them.

Comment by Endless Mike — March 10, 2008 @ 4:41 pm

2. When I read that I thought “James Robinson” but it occurred to me that I have really no idea of his current status.

Comment by HitTheTargets — March 10, 2008 @ 5:22 pm

3. James Robinson and Geoff Johns are joined at the hip, I think, so I don’t think it would be him….although he did turn Starman into one of the greatest comics of all time. I think Milligan is as good a guess as any.

For artists, if it is Sean Chen, my god, that would be *awesome*!!! Ever since his Valiant days, Chen has been an artist I’ll buy regardless of what he’s working on, but I have faith he won’t be put on trash like Salvation Run. If they could somehow pair him up with Fraction, I might cry myself to sleep every night!

Comment by Kenny — March 10, 2008 @ 7:24 pm

4. I don’t imagine it will be Sean Chen since he just left Marvel only last year and Salvation Run is the first real project he’s had with them since signing. Chiang and Dodson are a pretty good bet. Hopefully if Milligan is the writer he’ll have a bit more choice projects and freedom seeing as how his last Marvel tenure didn’t come up with much outside of the stellar X-Force/X-Statix.

Comment by Adam — March 11, 2008 @ 12:38 am

5. Salvation Run #5 has interiors by Joe Bennett, always a go-to guy for last minute fill-ins, so Chen bouncing back to Marvel sounds likely.

Comment by Dan Coyle — March 13, 2008 @ 5:25 pm

6. Actually, now it looks like Mike McKone, Tim Sale, and Joe Kelly so far…

Comment by Dan Coyle — March 14, 2008 @ 11:00 pm

7. Pete Milligan is doing a Marvel Knights Silver Surfer mini.

Comment by Pedro Tejeda — March 15, 2008 @ 8:57 am

8. Is Kelly really who they meant? I only ask because RJ mentioned an all-out exclusive, but maybe this is roughly equivalent. Still, he’s just doing a few issues of ASM, for now.

As for Milligan – he’s doing an MK Namor mini, not Silver Surfer, and it’s been in the works forever.

Comment by David Uzumeri — March 15, 2008 @ 12:16 pm