February 19, 2008

Damn DC, why don’t you just cancel the book?

Filed under: Blurbs — Pedro Tejeda @ 6:09 pm

CHECKMATE #26
Written by Bruce Jones
Art and cover by Manual Garcia
“Chimera, ” by Bruce Jones (Hulk) and Manuel Garcia (COUNTDOWN) begins! Left for dead on a Middle East minefield, one soldier’s only chance to survive is as a test subject of a dangerous-but-invaluable project run by the Black King. Both the King’s wildest hopes and fears will be realized when the project takes a wrong turn, creating a fighter remarkably well-suited for supernatural battles!
On sale May 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

So, swapping out Young Liars for Checkmate. Shoot, is Trautmann busy or something? Bruce Jones? UGH. I got 3 months to warn my guy, but I hope this is just one issue of this guy.

Edit: And it looks like the team that I care for, Rucka, Trautmann, and Bennett are all off. Shit, there is only one thing to do after issue #25….

1. Wow. That sucks. That was one of my favorite books.

Comment by Jamaal Thomas — February 19, 2008 @ 7:31 pm

2. “Shoot, is Trautmann busy or something? ”

As it happens, I find I have some free time, actually. ;)

-E

Comment by Eric Trautmann — February 20, 2008 @ 5:12 am

3. Crap, can you make then let you write it Eric?

Just send them a script and say “Here’s that script you needed For #26!”

Comment by Andy — February 20, 2008 @ 9:37 am

4. Ugh, why bother? Maybe Jason Todd will inexplicably show up dressing like Count Vertigo.

Comment by Endless Mike — February 20, 2008 @ 10:12 am

5. You know Eric, you can always write me some Checkmate stories and I’ll just read them to myself. We don’t have to tell DC or Rucka.

I forgot to mention this in the original post, but the link from Rucka’s Livejournal mentions this decision was in the cards about a year ago. I’m still hella hyped for “Castling” and can’t wait to see more comic work by Trautmann in the future.

Comment by Pedro Tejeda — February 20, 2008 @ 10:45 am

6. @ Pedro

…I’ll get right on that. ;)

-E

Comment by Eric Trautmann — February 20, 2008 @ 12:28 pm

7. I have to agree with you, Jones screwed up Nightwing bad, and that OMAC series he wrote was one of the worst things I have read since I was a kid. He stays on, I’m dropping that sucka

Comment by Chris Mosby — February 23, 2008 @ 2:59 pm

8. […] through the solicitations I came across this doozy. It looks like DC finally did what I jokingly asked them to do a couple of months ago. What has the book been doing since you and I dropped it? Why, it has […]

Pingback by Funnybook Babylon · Archives · Fun with October DC Solicts - The rise and fall of Checkmate — July 23, 2008 @ 1:50 pm